Support Group Leaders Training Weekend
14 CEUs for Licensed Counselors, Social Workers,ICDVP & PAIP
This training is for students, lay people, and professionals.
As a lay person or professional, are you interested in starting a support group for women who experience domestic violence and abusive relationships?
FOCUS Ministries offers a certificate program for support group leaders in our Partners in the Journey Seminars. The training includes an extensive training manual that covers all the aspects of starting a support group, the dynamics of support groups, domestic violence training, how to help a victim, and information on how to provide spiritual direction for victims of abuse.
Our training goes beyond the seminars. Our FOCUS support group leaders become part of a Christian community of leaders worldwide and a member of an established organization that has proven itself since 1995.
FOCUS Ministries is dedicated to serving our leaders by:
- Offering confidential one-on-one leader consultation regarding areas of concern and problematic issues.
- Providing encouragement, support, and spiritual direction.
- Providing prayer support.
- Providing advertisement of support groups on our website.
- Starting a faith based DV support group: structure, format, advertising
- Dynamics of support groups: team approach
- Curriculum and resources
- Identifying and handling issues within the support group
- Providing guidance and spiritual direction for DV victims
- Understanding faith issues in DV situations
- Understanding the impact of the victim’s concept of God in their healing process
- What is Domestic Violence: Types of Abuse, Cycle of Abuse
- Profile of an Abuser and Signs of Abuse
- Inside the mind of an Abuser
- Profile of a Victim/Why Does She Stay
- Effects on Children
- Teen Dating Abuse
- Do’s and Don’ts of Counseling
- Signs He’s Changed
- Helper versus Rescuers
FOCUS Ministries will hold its training at the
57 E. Park Blvd.
Villa Park, IL 60181
Friday and Saturday, April 7-8, 2017
Registration Deadline: April 1, 2017
9:00 am—4:30 pm each day
Doors open by 8:30 am
Support Group Leader’s Guide: $40.00 *The Support Group Leader’s Guide is not the same as the Training Manual and may be purchased at the seminar or at the time of registration.
14 CEUs: $35.00 for Licensed Counselors and Social Workers, ICDVP and PAIP
- 14 CEUs: $35.00 for Licensed Counselors and Social Workers, ICDVP and PAIP plus $160 registration fee.
Each attendee is responsible for making their own hotel reservations! Mention that you are with FOCUS Ministries for a discounted rate. Reservations are to be made by 3/10/17.
Residence Inn Marriott
790 Jorie Boulevard
Oak Brook, IL, 60523
630-571-1200 or register online by clicking here Book your group rate for Focus Ministries – April
If you need a Thursday night stay, call 630-571-1200 and ask for the Sales Department.
- Resources will be available for purchase at the seminar.
- For a printable copy of the brochure for more information and to print out copies to give to others, please Download Brochure
To register by postal mail, please download the registration form:
Mail in registration
Please print the registration form, fill it out and send it with a check or money order to:
FOCUS Ministries, Inc.
57 E. Park Blvd.
Villa Park, IL 60181
Paula Silva is co-founder and president of FOCUS Ministries, Inc. and coauthor of the book, Violence Among Us: Ministry to Families in Crisis. Paula has an MA in Counseling from Northeastern Illinois University and has also attended Larry Crabb’s School of Spiritual Direction. She counsels and coaches those who experience abusive relationships since 1995. She is the trainer at Partners in the Journey seminar, training for support groups leaders, and support group facilitator for women who have been abused.
Evelyn Colon is an Illinois Certified Domestic Violence Professional and Abuser Intervention Facilitator. Evelyn joined FOCUS in 2007 as a leader and facilitator for FOCUS Support Group Ministry. Evelyn has a heart for hurting women and has ministered to those women in the Christian community that have experienced domestic violence and abuse. Evelyn also is a trainer at Partners in the Journey seminar for FOCUS Ministries, Inc.