Download the PDF version
of the FOCUS Ministry main brochure.
FOCUS Ministries History
In September 1995, a group of women in the western suburbs of Chicago, Illinois, began meeting once a month to encourage each other and provide a forum for sharing personal needs. Soon afterward, FOCUS Ministries was birthed with a vision to reach out to hurting women through distribution of a bi-monthly newsletter containing hope and encouragement; establishment of support groups nationwide, including a group for pastors’ wives; training of support group leaders; education of pastors, churches, and organizations about domestic violence; speaking engagements (workshops, seminars, personal testimonies, etc.); and a lending library to provide educational and inspirational books and videos.
FOCUS Ministries has been featured on Moody Broadcasting’s Midday Connection; presented workshops at the AACC World Conference in Nashville, TN, and the “Beyond Abuse” conference in Newport Beach, CA; trained pastoral staffs at churches including Moody Memorial Church in Chicago, IL; and developed Train the Trainer seminars for prospective FOCUS Support Group leaders.
Currently based out of Elmhurst, Illinois, FOCUS Ministries has received thousands of phone calls, emails, and letters from women all over the world who have been subjected to horrific physical and emotional trauma from their husbands or boyfriends. It’s a powerful ministry bringing hope and healing through Christ.
FOCUS Ministries Purpose
- To help women and families who find themselves in these difficult circumstances. We offer counseling by phone, email, or in person; FOCUS support groups; educational material; and provision for their physical needs according to available funds. Our goals:
- To help them see how valuable they are to God
- To help them become more productive
- To assure them they are not alone
- To point them to Jesus Christ as the stability and focal point of their lives
- To respond swiftly to the needs as they arise
- To educate and train churches, organizations, support group leaders, and concerned friends and family members about the dynamics of domestic violence and abusive relationships. We offer workshops; presentations; a networking system for support group leaders; and many resource manuals, books, and electronic media on domestic violence.
FOCUS Ministries, Inc. Statement of Faith
- In the Scriptures, both Old and New Testament, to be the inspired Word of God without error.
- In one God, who eternally exists in three persons: God the Father, God the Son (Jesus Christ), and God the Holy Spirit.
- That all mankind has sinned against God and is therefore separated from God. The only way for mankind to reconcile with God is through repentance of sins, believing that Jesus Christ died on the cross for us and was raised from the dead by God’s power, and accepting by faith His atonement for our sins.
- That all who profess Christ as Savior and Lord should live in such a manner that would bring glory and honor to Him. We believe that in order to grow stronger in the Christian walk, we need to read the Word and spend quiet time with the Lord each day, as well as faithfully attend a Bible-teaching church and fellowship with other believers.
Everlasting Love TV Interview
Paula Silva, President of FOCUS Ministries, Inc.
Women and families experiencing domestic violence are looking for a safe place to tell the secret of the oppression they are experiencing and to live and thrive with renewed hope. They are looking for safe people who will love and support them and a safe church where they will be believed and helped. As a guest on Everlasting Love TV, Paula Silva, president of FOCUS Ministries, shares her journey of faith in the God who transformed her broken dreams into a ministry that brings hope and healing in Jesus.
ELTV: Part 2 of 3 Domestic Violence-Focus Ministries
ELTV: Part 3 of 3 Domestic Violence-Focus Ministries