Violence Among Us: Ministry to Families in Crisis
“…an honest, uncompromisingly truthful book on domestic violence
that reaches a complex audience in the most educational,
comprehensible, and practical of ways.”
– Dr. Rosalie de Rosset, Professor of Communications and Literature,
Moody Bible Institute, Chicago, Illinois
Ministry to Families in Crisis
Brenda Branson and Paula J. Silva
Foreword by Tim Clinton
$15.00 (includes Shipping & Handling)
In the Christian community, one in every four women experiences family violence. As the awareness and incidence of domestic violence increase, however, pastors find themselves ill-equipped to deal with the crisis. There is very little training, if any, provided in seminary on this subject. The challenge for every pastor and counselor is to go beyond a casual awareness of the problem to the harsh reality of this epidemic, to move past apathy to conviction, and to turn empathy into compelling action.
Addresses the questions:
- How common is domestic violence?
- What keeps a victim trapped?
- What is the effect of family violence on children, teens, the church community, the workplace, and society as a whole?
- How can the church take a proactive stand to prevent family violence in future generations?
- Practical help in identifying abusive situations
- Strategic counseling tips
- Case studies and models of effective ministry to both the victim and the perpetrator
- Resource lists which include domestic violence hotlines and shelters, faith-based organizations, abuser treatment programs, and information on legal and safety issues
Who is the book for?
- Pastors and other church leaders
- Professional and lay counselors
- Organizations which minister to families in crisis
“Love in action is no less important than evangelism.
Our plea to pastors and churches is to get as involved
in saving lives as you are in saving souls.”
—from Chapter 1
Table of Contents:
Chapter 1 Discovering Her Journey—Validating Her Pain
Chapter 2 Understanding the Dynamics of Family Violence
Chapter 3 All Abuse Hurts!
Chapter 4 Why Does She Stay?
Chapter 5 Inside the Mind of an Abuser
Chapter 6 Effects of Family Violence
Chapter 7 Helping Men Who Are Victims
Chapter 8 Terror in the Parsonage
Chapter 9 Counseling Dos and Don’ts
Chapter 10 The Church’s Role and Response
Chapter 11 Spiritual Direction
Chapter 12 What Does the Bible Say?
Chapter 13 Preventing Family Violence